Sunday, February 11, 2007

Climbing out of Torri del Benaco


It was 15C (59F) today! A glorious, sunny day. Hopped on my my steel bike (which I'll write about in the future) and headed off to Lago di Garda. On the way I came across 3 young kids (10-12 years old I would guess) from a Pescantina club riding fixed gears spinning their legs off. Arriving at Bardolino I stopped for a quick espresso and then headed north to Garda and then Torri del Benaco. Torri is a very small lakeside town with a picturesque harbor. At the center of town, off the main road, you turn right and climb towards San Zeno. This road offers spectacular views of the lake, has nice switchbacks and provides a good work out without being unduly difficult. On the way up I was passed by most of the Cicli Mantovani team that was training here on their Liotto bikes all the way from Vicenza. I hung in there with the slower members but jeez...these guys were all so skinny.




From San Zeno I wound my way back to Verona. 4 1/2 hours in February is a nice gift.




Photo: harbor at Torri del Benaco.

No comments:

Post a Comment