Monday, September 3, 2007

Interesting Encounter in Bassano del Grappa


After our Monte Grappa climb ride, previously detailed, we rode into Bassano del Grappa to have grappa on the famous wooden bridge.



Grappa is a uniquely Italian drink. Traditionally made from pomace, the discarded grape seeds, stalks, and stems, that are a by-product of the winemaking process. It was originally made to prevent waste by using leftovers at the end of the wine season. Grappa is primarily served as a "digestivo" or after-dinner drink but may also be added to espresso coffee to create a "caffe corretto".



It was here, on the bridge, that a gentlemen came up to a few of us and started asking us questions about where we had been on our ride. Speaking perfect Italian he said he has been in the U.S. Army during World War II. In Italian I explained that I was American as well. His long story then began to unfold: From Detroit, enlisted in the U.S. Army, fought in Italy, fell in love with an Italian, and remained in Italy after the war ended. Lives in Bassano del Grappa.



In the photograph he is showing me a news clipping from World War II reporting of his service in Italy.

1 comment:

  1. I like that, "to prevent waste"! I had never had a nice tasting grappa, only stuff that I think turpentine would be like, until in Assisi last year. This was when Italy won the world cup. My new friend Vivolo intoduced me to that. It was very smooth and had a nice taste, though my body did NOT like it the next day.

    ReplyDelete