Monday, June 29, 2009

Emma Mackie Races in the Women's Giro d'Italia, Part II






Emma Mackie's, of team Lotto-Belisol, first report in her own words:

Hi,

Not long ago I was asked if I would like to write about my experiences in this year’s GiroDonne. One of the biggest women’s races not only in Italy but the world. This is a first for me! I’m a little nervous about writing something where thousands of people can read it but I am very happy to be asked. This is also very exciting for me because the GiroDonne was the first International race I did with the Australian National team 3years ago. This year I will be returning with my Belgium pro team, Lotto-Belisol. So to kick things off I thought you should know a little bit about me.

I’m an Australian Female cyclist. I’m 24 years old and I come from a little town called Albury. During the European cycling season I live in Belgium, Viane. I have been racing now for 5 years. I started cycling through my local club in Australia and after a year of racing at home I wanted more. Things progressed quickly and before I knew it I was racing the GiroDonne with the Australian National team in 2006.

In 2007 I signed my first professional contract with the Dutch team Vrienden Van Het Platteland. It was quite an experience coming from Australia and living in Europe for 6-8 months! A lot of people say that the first experience either makes or breaks you. Well it hasn’t broken me yet.

In 2008 I signed for the team Lotto-Belisol which is now my current team in 2009. Last year was a great year for me with 7 top 10 results, 2 podium finishes, and 4500Kms raced in Europe with 43 completed races. This year the team is bigger and stronger. We have had some great results and I can feel each year an improvement from the last.

I have just recently returned from Canada. We had some great results with several podiums, top ten finishes, the sprinters jersey and me 2nd on the mountains jersey. I have now turned my attention to the 10 day tour of the GiroDonne. The weeks leading up to this tour I have been focused on full recovery and maintaining the race fitness I should benefit from Canada. Drinking plenty of water to keep myself hydrated as I hear it is going to be very hot. And eating the right foods to fuel myself for this year’s challenging course. The race this year looks to be very tough with 10 stages from the 3rd-12th July. We fly into Pisa on Friday morning, July 3rd, to begin the race later that night at 7pm with a 2.5km prologue.

The sun is shining here today and Belgium! And it is time for me to go out training...

So until then, I will keep you posted with anything leading up to the tour and the latest news /reactions and gossip on tour.

Ciao,

Emma Mackie




Photos: Emma sprinting to her first victory of 2009, in May; with teammates in Canada, Emma 2nd left; the entire team, Emma 2nd right


ed. note: Emma outlined her European goals for this year as World cup races- top 10, UCI Tours- stage wins/podium, UCI Classic Races- podium, National Races- wins/podium and to
represent Australia in the World Championships in Menderiso, Switzerland. Her long term goals include Australian Champion, World Championships, Commonwealth Games 2010, London Olympics 2012.


Part I of Emma Mackie Races in the Women's Giro d'Italia:
Stories, including cycling trip stories, for the Italian Cycling Journal welcome; contact veronaman@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment