Sunday, November 15, 2009

Climbing the Blockhaus

Italian Cycling Journal reader Mark Woodward contributes a poem about cycling up the Blockhaus climb in August.

Climbing the Blockhaus

Climbing slowly through a horsefly cloud,
swatting away settlers on my sweat.
Weaving for shadows in the August heat;
the sweet relief of a southside tree.
I glance at my own sunshot image
photographed upon the sizzling road:
me and a swarm of irritants like
demons from my own desires.

Further, and the olive groves concede
to wild scrub and wood.
A sparrowhawk flips over and drops
where the Apennines rise -
as I hairpin back and up, up, again.
Pretoro lies below me now - the shade
of its cliff face alleys a memory.
The road is scribbled with chalk -
Forza Di Luca! Di Luca, the local boy.
I reach Passo Lanciano where I could rest
by the sleeping ski-lifts.

But further revolutions call me,
to turn and grind, creaking to the top.
Beech trees overhang for a mile or so
until I graft through their coolness
to the scree covered slopes
and the last open climb to the summit.
This is Merckx's battleground,
up here on a white track in the baking sun,
on the peak of Italy's spine.

I rest my bike beside the sign,
re-hydrate and through the sparse
air gulp the cascading view,
then turn for the downhill run.
Relishing the divine synergy, I wind,
lean and slide through the hairpins.
I feel the air thicken and the temperature rise
and "vai, vai, vai!"
- this time I'm far too fast for the flies!

Anyone interested in reading more of Marc's poetry can visit his blog:

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal welcome, contact me at There are more than 1,000 stories in this blog, the search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment