Monday, March 8, 2010

Riding With One Wheel in Gusts of 90 Km/h




Simone Temperato, from Bassano del Grappa (VI), writes in with his most recent challenge which took place at the Giro di Sardegna (Sardinia) on February, 24th.

On the second stage of the race, Marcomer to Nuoro with the finish at Monte Ortobene, he was undertaking riding the last 7 km, at 5.7%, just on his rear wheel. Very strong wind gusts peaking 90 km/h were causing the front wheel to act as a sail so he decided to do the climb without one. This increased the danger in case of a fall.

"I never thought I would do it. I made one last effort to counter the sudden gusts of wind coming from all directions. It was a real ordeal. More than once I managed to do acrobatic maneuvers that saved my balance but eventually I made it. A great deal of credit belongs to my Sardinian friends that followed and accompanied me on the climb. They saw with their own eyes what has long become my motto 'The impossible does not exist yet!' "

Last we heard from Simone he was riding up Madonna del Ghisallo.

Simone's website is http://www.magicotempe.com/

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondo, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, etc. are very welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are more than 1,200 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog and there is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page.

1 comment: