Saturday, July 16, 2011

2011 Tour de France, Stage 13

World champion Thor Hushovd (Garmin-Cervélo) pulled himself over the Col d'Aubisque and chased down Jérémy Roy (FDJ) for 30 km to take the victory in Lourdes on the Pau- Lourdes 156km stage. "Winning alone on a hard day like this when we went over the Col d'Aubisque and doing it wearing the rainbow jersey is, I think, incredible. "It's the craziest thing I've ever done. I was happy to be in the break. I was obviously strong. I went on the attack on the Aubisque so that I could ride at my own pace. My goal was to come back on the descent, which I finally managed to do. It's incredible how quickly things have turned for me. Yesterday and the few days before I was feeling tired, but I did the right thing yesterday by taking it easy and losing quite a lot of time. I think that saved my legs and that's why I won today."

The top GC riders rode to save energy for the severity of Saturday's Saint-Gaudens - Plateau de Beille 168k stage. Every rider who has previously won at Plateau de Beille has gone on to the win the Tour that same year: Marco Pantani (1998), Lance Armstrong (2002) and Alberto Contador (2007). Basso expects a "hellish day".

Top 10 GC:
1 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar 55:49:57
2 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:01:49
3 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:02:06
4 Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:02:17
5 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:03:16
6 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - ISD 0:03:22
7 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Saxo Bank Sungard 0:04:00
8 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:04:11
9 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:04:35
10 Thomas Danielson (USA) Team Garmin-Cervelo

Photo: Bettini

Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at There are more than 2,000 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page.

No comments:

Post a Comment