Saturday, March 17, 2012

2012 Milan-Sanremo to Simon Gerrans



Australian national champion Simon Gerrans (GreenEdge Cycling Team) has won the 103rd edition of Milan-Sanremo. Gerrans, Fabian Cancellara and Vincenzo Nibali attacked and escaped the remnants of the peloton on the ascent of the Poggio and Cancellara led all the way on the descent and up to the last meters when Gerrans came around. Fabian Cancellara (RadioShack Nissan Trek) finished 2nd, Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas Cannondale) finished 3rd.

"When Cancellara pulled so hard I knew there was a good chance of reaching the finish line," said Gerrans. "I rode with great coolness and I waited until the last few meters to play my card. I gave what I could to help the escape succeed but knowing that Fabian is so strong I kept a reserve of energy for the sprint. I didn't speak with Goss much during the race but the plan was that I would go on an escape and if it failed Goss would be there for the sprint."

"Milan-San Remo is becoming a very fortunate race for us Australians, last year Goss won now I've won. I do not think there was a better way to win a big race like this, with the Australian team being supported by a great project, and wearing the Australian champion's jersey on my shoulders. I think it's the best I could ask."

The final 7.5 km beginning with Nibali's attack on the Poggio:


The 298 km were raced in 6h 59’ 24” at average speed of 42,632 km/h.

Gerran's win stretches the victories of foreigners over Italians to 53 vs. 50.

Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are more than 2,300 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page

No comments:

Post a Comment