Saturday, September 29, 2012

2012 Il Lombardia: Results

Joaquin Rodriguez (Team Katusha), who finished second in the Giro this year, became the first Spanish rider to win the Il Lombardia (formerly Giro di Lombardia). Rodriguez finished in 6:36:27 with an average speed of 37.987 km/h. Finishing 2nd and 3rd were Spaniard Samuel Sanchez (Euskaltel Euskadi) at 9 seconds and Colombian Rigoberto Uran Uran (Sky Procycling) also at 9 seconds.

On an autumn day with rain slicked roads and pouring rain in the final kilometers Rodriguez, who made the selection on the Muro di Sormano, was able to dispatch any of the remaining contenders on the climb of Villa Vergano and then cross the finish line in Lecco with his arms raised and by himself.


"I was overjoyed when I crossed the line", said Rodriguez. "Il Lombardia is a race that I have always dreamed of winning. I crossed the finish line and threw my water bottle in the air, it's a gesture of good luck and I like to do it when I win."

Rodriguez continued, "I really don't like the rain especially when descending because it's dangerous but in fact when it rains I go well. I am very pleased with my results this year (note: won Fleche-Wallonne, second in the Giro d'Italia, third in the Vuelta a Espana). I was fighting for a double goal today, to win this prestigious competition and to take the lead in the UCI World Tour rankings, and I managed both. So I'm really happy. As for 2013, I am looking forward to seeing the presentation tomorrow of the 2013 Giro d'Italia."

The rain and slick roads caused Philippe Gilbert to crash out of the race, and there were a number of other crashes including that of Vincenzo Nibali who has now crashed in the last two editions at key moments.

The last Italian to win Il Lombardia is Damiano Cunego, in 2008. 

Video summary:


Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, racing, etc. are always welcome.

Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN

Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are more than 2,600 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page. 

1 comment:

  1. "As for 2013, I am looking forward to seeing the presentation tomorrow of the 2013 Giro d'Italia"

    Here's hoping Purito wins the Giro. What a champion!

    ReplyDelete